One time Passwords (OTP) is a password that is valid for only one login session in a computer or in a digital device.
OTPs have various applications in providing services such as Internet Banking, online transactions, etc.
They are made up of a combination of 4 or 6 numeric digits or a 6-digit alphanumeric character.
Using python, we can create an OTP generation and verification GUI. This can be done by following a few steps.
The following is the block diagram of the flow of the steps involved in creating an OTP verification GUI with Python.
Let us now see each of these steps in detail with the corresponding required code.
I] Email input screen
In this step we will perform the following functions:
1. Creating the initial welcome screen which contains a text field asking for the user%u2019s email id where the OTP needs to be sent.
2. In this step, the user enters their email id.
3. Additionally, this screen also contains the CONTINUE button.
4. When the user clicks on the CONTINUE button, the control moves to the second step of the application i.e., Generating, Storing, and Sending OTP.
In this step we will implement the following functions:
1. Fetching the email id that the user entered in the previous screen.
2. Generating an OTP.
3. Storing this OTP in a notepad file.
4. Sending the OTP to the email id that the user entered.
III] OTP validating screen
In this step we will implement the following steps:
1. Creating the second screen which contains a text field asking the user to enter the OTP that they received in their email id.
2. Adding a VALIDATE button. Once the user enters the OTP and clicks on this button, we can validate the user-provided OTP with the OTP stored in our notepad file(in step II).