'conda' is not recognized as internal or external command
WHAT IS CONDA?
Conda is an open source package management system and environment management system. Though it was created for python programs, it can package and distribute software for any language.
A conda environment is a directory which contains a collection of conda packages that you have installed.
REASONS FOR GETTING ERROR:
There are several scenarios that will trigger this error message:
- Environment path for conda is not set.
- Environment path is incorrectly added.
- Anaconda version is older than the version of anaconda navigator.
ADDING ANACONDA TO YOUR PATH ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE DURING INSTALLATION
1. Select the appropriate python version that you want to use with Anaconda and click download.
2. Open the installation executable, hit 'next' at the first prompt and then accept Licence Agreement.
3. Select the installation type and hit again.
4. Choose the ''Destination Folder' and click next button again.
5 .In the 'Advanced Installation Options', check the box with Add Anaconda to my path environment variable and click install.
6.Once the installation is complete, type 'conda' in command prompt. You should no longer see the error.
ADDING THE CONDA PATH MANUALLY:
If you didn't clicked path during installation, here is the another way to set path manually.
1. In search bar, click on Anaconda Prompt and open it.
2. Inside the Anaconda Prompt, run the following command:
3. Copy the second location and exclude the executable.
for example: C:\Users\Raji\Anaconda3\Scripts
4. Press 'Windows+R' to open dialogue box and type 'sysdm.cpl' . Hit enter to open up system properties.
5. Inside the system properties, go to 'advanced' tab and click environment variables.
6. Inside the environment variables, select path variable and click 'edit' button.
7. Inside the Edit environment variable, click the New button and add these locations:
If you're still encountering the error, follow the method 3.
UPDATING ANACONDA TO THE LATEST VERSION
1. In search bar, click Anaconda Prompt.
2. Inside the Prompt program, run the following commands and press enter after each one to update the conda.
wait until the process is complete, then close the Anaconda Prompt and open command prompt, type conda.